If you find yourself tossing and turning at night, unable to get decent sleep no matter what sleeping position you try, the culprit can be your mattress. Having the right mattress is crucial to deep slumber. Unfortunately, most Americans fail to choose the right mattress and end up sleep deprived, with low levels of energy during their waking hours. Do you suspect that your mattress might be keeping you awake? Here are 5 possible reasons why:
1. Your mattress is saggy and lumpy. This can cause aching muscles, back pain, and general restlessness. Some mattresses lack support and allow your spine to bend unnaturally, putting strain on your muscles and joints and eventually causing soreness and stiffness.
2. Your old mattress may have dust mites—and that’s a recipe for disaster if you have asthma and other related allergies.
3. Your mattress is toxic. If you are using a conventional (non-organic) mattress, you can be pretty sure that you are inhaling and absorbing chemicals while in bed. Most mattresses are full of chemicals and materials that have been proven to cause serious health complications including asthma, SIDS, allergies, respiratory problems, reproductive toxicity, skin irritations, and in large doses, even cancer. Here’s a partial list of the worst materials and chemicals used in mattresses:
What is your mattress made from?
Some of the following chemicals may be used in conventional mattress making and may be present in your bed. The possibility of offgassing throughout the life of the mattress is present in both adult mattresses and baby mattresses for years after purchasing a conventionally made mattress.
Acetaldehyde N-Hexanal, Acetontrile, Acrylics, Additives, Aldeol, Alkenes, Alumanized material, Amine Catalysts, B-Ocimene-Dichlorobenzene Limonene, Bacterial Coatings, Benzonitrile, Boric Acid, Carbon Disulphide, Cell Opening Polyels, Chemical Latex, Chlome, Cyanide Defoilants, Dibuthyl, Dibuty (Phthatlate Siloxanes), Diisoryanate, Dyes, Ethylbenzene, flame retardant, Foam Polyfibers, foams, Formaldehyde, Fungicides, glass fabrics, Glues, Herbicides, Indene, Ketones, Mcs, Methyl Cyanobenezene, Methyl Pridint Acetic Acid, Naphyha Lene, Natural Gas, Nitrobenzene, Nylon Polypropylene, Paroffinic Hydrocarbon, Pesticides, Petroleum, Phosphates, Phtalate, Polurethane, Polyester, Propane, Propnitrile, Pyridine, Quinoline, Rubber Sbr, Silcone Sulfacants, Stains, Stannons Octate, Strene Butadiene, Styrene, Synthetic Batting, Tcep, Tdcpp, Thermoplastic Fibers, Toulene, toxic fumes, Trimethyl Benzene, Tris, Vinyl Puc’s, Voc’s, etc.
- Formaldehyde (has been linked to asthma, lung cancer, and allergies)
- Polyurethane foam (emits VOC’s)
- Flame retardants such as PBDE’s (banned in many countries)
- Boric Acid (cockroach killer)
4. Your mattress is too hot or too cold. Do you often wake up sweating? Are your pajamas drenched in sweat by the time you wake up in the morning? Your mattress may have inferior moisture wicking properties.
5. Your mattress is too firm or too soft. Everyone has a unique sleeping preference. Some people prefer firm mattresses, while others prefer soft. The wrong mattress can either push on your pressure points or fail to provide support, making you uncomfortable and unable to sleep well.
The Solution: Organic Mattresses
Organic mattresses improve sleep because:
- They are dust-mite repellent, anti bacterial, and mold-resistant and anti-bacterial
- They are not treated with fire-retardant chemicals and have natural fire-resistant properties like pure wool.
- They are not made from synthetic polyurethane
- They are absorbent, with superior moisture-wicking properties coming from
the pure wool.
- They are also breathable
- They can keep you cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter
- They can be customized according to your desired level of firmness
Switching to an organic mattress can drastically improve your sleep quality to give you the cheerful disposition, mental clarity, and physical energy you need to face your daily waking life. Spend the next 1/3 of your life on an organic mattress.
About the Author:
Dennis and Leora Hornick are the owners of The Organic Mattress Store Inc. They started this business in 2004 and within few years it became a big brand store in Pennsylvania and the East Coast, all the way to California.
The Organic Mattress Store Inc. is a well known organic mattress store in Pennsylvania. They provide mattresses made up of 100% certified organic cotton and wool. They are the market leaders in natural and organic mattress. They have all big brands in their store like Green Sleep, Royal-Pedic, WJ Southard, Shepherds Dream, etc, for you to come in to try out.