Buying an organic mattress is a life-changing decision because you are investing in something that could positively affect your health and well-being in the long run. Hence, you need to make sure that you are buying an authentic organic mattress that is made with 100 percent natural and organic materials. This type of mattress is designed in a simple manner and made with materials straight from nature, without going through any harsh chemical treatments. Hence, you get naturally flame retardant wool, 100 percent luxurious cotton fabric, and dust mite resistant latex. Here are handy tips to help you purchase real organic mattresses:
- Find a mattress store that specializes in organic bedding – Instead of buying from a general mattress store, pick one that exclusively carries organic mattresses from reputable brands like Royal-Pedic, WJ Southard, Ivy Organics, White Lotus, and Shepherd’s Dream. That way, you can be confident with the authenticity and quality of its products.
- Buy from an experienced and certified retailer – Consider a store that has at least a decade of experience in selling organic twin mattresses that have met the strict standards of the USDA’s National Organic Program. This way, you can be sure that you are buying a certified organic mattress from the field to the finished product.
Reputable retailers are accredited by the Better Business Bureau and members of the Organic Trade Association. Likewise, they are a certified business by Green America. Look for a store that follows the global organic latex standard (GOLS), the processing and materials standard for finished latex foams and organic latex mattresses.
- Request a catalog from the store – Some organic twin mattress retailers can provide a free catalog upon your request. Use that as a reference when exploring the types of organic mattresses that they carry, especially if you are shopping around for the most reasonably priced mattress.
- Do not ignore the private label – Reputable organic mattress retailers could have their own private label, so be sure to check that out, too. Some stores offer financing options, too, so it will be easier for you to afford a new authentic twin mattress.
- Pay attention to the label – Always find out what the mattress is made of. Reputable organic mattress retailers are honest and will disclose the truth about the materials. If you find any suspicious chemical names that are hard to pronounce, then the mattress might not be 100 percent organic at all.